2011-09-23

[RE] Google Reader Search: Chemistry


This week, instead of searching through hundreds of posts my friends publish on their respective blogs, I decided to use the search feature on Google Reader to find a post which (might) interest me. Being that I am declaring a chemical engineering major, I decided to enter chemistry into the search bar.

Funny enough, I found two of the first five search results were posts that I had published. To my dismay, the majority of "chemistry" posts did not quite talk about the chemical science. A few posts talked about chemistry as in interaction between people or mutual attraction toward people. Others talked about their chemistry classes - like how they failed a test or quiz, or switching around classes to enroll in HP. Not exactly the type of posts I am neither interested in reading nor responding.

Needless to say, I did find a post to respond. Titled "My dream job," Justin Guan shares his dream of becoming a marine biologist. He seems highly educated about the processes of studying to be a marine biologist.
To be a marine biologist, [sic] I have to take basic biology, zoology, chemistry, physics, biometrics, mathematics, and statistics [...]
 He lists a dozen different programs, colleges, and universities to enroll which would provide him with the education he needs to study marine biology. Naturally, all of these institutions are located either near the coast or have installed some form of artificial fishery to study marine life. They have locations all over the US, from California to New York.
For a degree, I would need a bachelor for a starting degree, and then I would later on need a PhD.
I'm glad to see that Justin has already planned to pursue a PhD - a difficult endeavor, for sure. 


While Justin doesn't mention any specific interest in which branch of marine biology he likes best (be it plants, mammals, fish, plankton, reptiles, fungi, or whatnot), it is obvious that he has high hopes to study in the oceans.

No comments:

Post a Comment