2011-09-16

[RE] TB or not TB


Al Jazeera English is one of the first news channels headquartered in the Middle East. It aims to give a global perspective on world news that domestic television news stations fail to present. Its audience is intended to give an alternate view from the news that FOX, NBC and CBS provide. Sadly, I (and Damien) find many videos and news coverage on global affairs and war/fighting amongst outlying articles on international political ‘stuff.’

I was just scrolling through the Al Jazeera posts because all of the stuff looked really uninteresting to me. Things about winning crucial votes, sex abuse, and arms smuggling don’t really interest me much.  -Damien

And I can agree. It’s not to say these things aren’t important and the public shouldn’t have the opportunity to be informed. These particular topics, though, are just not my cup of tea. Furthermore, I can agree with Damien upon the subject of science. I love the sciences and mathematics. Chemistry, in particular, amazes me. I love going to the laboratory and experimenting with all sorts of chemical reactions and products.

So what’s going on in Europe? Specifically, tuberculosis (TB) is apparently spreading throughout London. I haven’t read the article from which Damien is reading, but he mentions how modern medical technology should prevent the spread of disease – especially TB which (while highly contagious) has vaccinations and medicinal treatment available. Moreover, several tests are available to detect the presence of TB.

The world of science is always evolving: biologically and technologically. Biomedical technicians are finding new ways to fight, cure, and detect diseases. But that demand is only as necessary as the imposing threat of evolving diseases. A single bacterium can reproduce and multiply in the millions in a few weeks time. There is a lot of opportunity for genetic variation and mutation, and engineers have to keep up with the “fight” for survival.

No comments:

Post a Comment